Career as Landscape Architect
Landscape architecture is a multi-disciplinary field, incorporating aspects of: botany, horticulture, the fine arts, architecture, industrial design, geology and the earth sciences, environmental psychology, geography, and ecology.
They are exterior space designers. They design and layout gardens, parks and outdoor spaces, they do site planning for campuses and corporate office parks, design residential estates and civil infrastructure and the management of large areas or reclamation of degraded landscapes such as mines or landfills. Landscape architects work on all types of structures and external space - large or small, urban, suburban and rural, and with "hard" (built) and "soft" (planted) materials, while integrating ecological sustainability. They work with contractors builders and architectural firms on collaborative projects. The exteriors of a building have a huge impact on the overall look and feel of a building and can add tremendous aesthetic value and utility to a building or space. They do systematic investigation of existing social, ecological, and geological conditions and processes in the landscape, and the design of interventions that will produce the desired outcome. The controlling of urban problems like excess traffic and pollution also comes within the ambit of landscape designing. Hence it may even involve regulating traffic movement and redesigning traffic ways.
Courses & Eligibility
Architecture can be studied in an Engineering college and Architecture college. There are many institutes of repute that offer this course in India.
B. Arch is a 5 year course and most schools and colleges select students through a written test. Anybody who has studied Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry at the 10+2 level can apply for admission to study architecture at the graduate level in colleges offering the course.
M. Arch (Landscape Architecture) Post-graduate Course: On completion of the graduate course, one can study architecture at the post graduate course which varies from 18 months to 2 years.
Entrance test for B.Arch courses:
NATA, National Aptitude Test for Architecture, can be taken at many centres in India
JEE MAIN 2013 Exam - Joint Engineering Entrance Exam (2013): for NITs, IIITs, DTU, Delhi and other centrally funded institutions (CFTIs)
Where To Study
- School of Architecture CEPT, Navrangpura, Ahmedabad
- School of Planning & Architecture, 4, Block-B, IP Estate, New Delhi
- Punjab University, Chandigarh College of Architecture, Chandigarh
- Goa University, College of Architecture, Campal Panaji, Goa
- University of Mumbai, Sir J J College of Architecture, 78/3, Dr. D.N. Road, Mumbai
- Indian Education Society's College of Architecture, 791, Bandra Reclamation, Bandra (W), Mumbai
- Pune University, Marathwada Mitra Mandal College of Architecture, 302, A, Deccan Gymkhana, Pune
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, School of Planning & Architecture, Mahavir Marg, Hyderabad
- Kerala University, College of Engineering, Thiruvananthpuram
- Anna University, School of Architecture & Planning, Sardar Patel Rd., Chennai
- IPS Academy, School of Architecture, Rajendra Nagar, Indore
- Vastu Kala Academy, School of Architecture & Interior Designing, 9/1, Institutional Area, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, New Delhi
- Dr Bhanuben Nanavati College of Architecture, Pune
A typical day of Landscape Architect depends on the stage of project that he/she is working currently. Since they are involved in both design and implementation their days might begin with preparing the site plans of the new contracts or visiting the sites under development. On the existing site he/she checks the progress and see that development is going on as per the plan. On the new contracts, they evaluate the existing land structures and features and plan the proposed features. They make these designs by carefully analysing the reports and data on soil, environment, location and other factors and this usually requires coordination with many other related professionals.
Pay & Remuneration
Beginners and pass outs of premier institutes can earn around Rs.3-4 lakhs a year as starting salary. With experience one can make god contacts and establish own business and earn pretty well.
You may also like