Meteorologist and Atmospheric Scientist
Meteorologists / Atmospheric Scientists scientifically study the earth’s atmosphere for various purposes and one of them being weather forecasting. On the other hand the climatologists are involved in long term study of weather. These professionals observe, understand and predict weather. Meteorologists use sophisticated instruments and satellites to monitor weather and advanced computing techniques are used to analyze the data. They are involved in weather forecasting based on various weather conditions. This information is used by many industries and government agencies like Airlines, Shipping, and Disaster Management etc. They collect data and evaluate it using various techniques.
Courses & Eligibility
B Sc, M Sc Meterology, Science students after class 12 are eligible. There are various branches of meteorology and one can specialize in them like Climatology, Synoptic meteorology, physical meteorology, agricultural meteorology and applied meteorology. One can also take up courses like M Tech Atmospheric science and M Tech Meteorology PhD Atmospheric Science is another higher studies option.
Admission is through entrance exam in reputed colleges.
Where To Study/College
1. Andhra University, Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh Offers MSc Meteorology, M Tech Atmospheric science.
2. Cochin Univerity of science and Technology, Kochi, Kerala Offers MSc Meteorology, M Tech Atmospheric science.
3. IIT Delhi Offers B Tech, M Tech Atmospheric sciences
4. IIT Kharagpur offers course in Physics and Meteorology.
5. The center for Atmospheric and Oceanic Science (CAOS), Indian Institute of Science. Bangalore, offers research - oriented programmes leading to M.Sc (Engg). And Ph.D degree.
6. University of Pune , Pune Offers M Tech Atmospheric Science, PhD Atmospheric Science
7. ABV Government Degree College Jangaon, AP Offers B Sc Metereology
8. Govt Institute of science, Aurangabad, Maharashtra Offers M Sc Metereology
9. Sardar Krushinagar Dantiwada Agricultural University, Palanpur, Gujarat
10. Maharja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Fatehgunj, Vadodara. Offers B.Sc in Meteorology.
11. Shivaji University, Vidyanagar, Kolhapur, Maharashtra. Course offered : B.Sc in Meteorology along with Oceanography.
A fresher can begin with Rs. 2.5-3 lakhs a year and pay increases with experience.
With increase and travel and transport from water and air ways, employment opportunities will also increase. Professionals in meteorology, in the field of pollution control and climate changes would get ample employment options with state run and private organizations. Career prospects are bright in government agencies, aviation and shipping industry and in private agencies that use this data. The Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) recruits these students at Grade II level through Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). Selected students undergo one - year advance course in Meteorology at IMD campuses in Pune and New Delhi.
You may also like