|Ethical Hacker / IT Security Professional|
With the penetration of internet, cyber crime has also seen a marked increase. We keep hearing about websites that were hacked, data was stolen from websites and many targeted virus attacks took place. This has lead to a boom in career related to security of the information technology system of organisations.
IT security professionals/ ethical hackers are employed by organisations to protect their computer network. They are entrusted with the work of making a computer system that is secure from malicious hacking.
IT security professionals, who are essentially system and networking experts, are needed to protect the IT system so that no one can penetrate the network and prevent any harmful attack on it. Ethical hacker does just the opposite, he/she attacks a network of computers, penetrates but with the intention of helping the network administrator to make the system secure. Ethical hackers test the security system, report problems and help in making the system more secure.
They work in networking or the security domain. Should be comfortable with many types of operating systems and should be able to work in all kinds of IT environments.
Courses and Eligibility
There are few courses in IT security and ethical hacking that can be taken by engineers, graduates and post graduates in Computer Science or Information Technology.
Certificate course in ethical hacking
PG Diploma in Information security and system administration: Graduation in IT, Computer science, engineering, MCA, , PGDCA
M.Sc in cyber forensics and information security: degree in computer science, computer application, IT, mathematics/ physics, statistics, electronics or BE/BTech. Selection is through entrance exam.
M.Tech in CS and Information Security: BTech in Cs/ECE/IT or MCA with BSC mathematics or Msc mathematics/CS, selection through entrance exam/GATE.
M.Tech in Information Security and computer Forensics: B.E/ B.Tech (CSE/ IT/ ECE/ EEE), M.Sc (Computer / Computer Forensics Science/ IT/ Electronics) or MCA. selection through entrance exam/GATE.
M.Tech in cyber Security: BE/BTech in CSE/IT/ECE or equivalent, Selection through entrance exam/GATE.
International certifications are there like Certified Ethical Hacker (EC-Council), Certified Hacking Forensic Investigator (EC-Council), GIAC Certified Penetration Tester (GPEN) offered by SAN and GIAC Certified Intrusion Analyst (GCIA). These certifications can improve one’s prospects. The training for the certifications is available in regular and online modes.
MS in Cyber Law and Information Security (BE/BTech/Postgrduates/Bachelor in Law) Admission through enrance exam.
Where To Study
- National Institute of electronics and Information Technology, formerly DOEACC Calicut.
- Reliance web world outlets offer Ankit Fadia Certified ethical hacker course
- University of Madras - M.Sc in cyber forensics and information security
- IIIT, M.Tech in CS and Information Security
- Indian Institute of Informaton Technology, Allahabad (IIIT) MS in Cyber Law and Information Security (BE/BTech/Postgrduates/Bachelor in Law) Admission through enrance exam.
- SRM University - M.Tech in Information Security and computer Forensics
- IMT Ghaziabad - One year program in cyber security in collaboration with Ankit Fadia.
- Institute of Information Security Mumbai and Chandigarh - Provides training for Certified professional hacker, certified professional forensic analyst, certified information security consultant, Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP).
- Tech Defence Ahemdabad, Delhi.
- Amrita school of engineering, Amrita Vishva Vidyapeetham University - M Tech in cyber security
- Indira Gandhi National Open Universitys (Ignou) School of Vocational Education and Training (SOVET) one-year PG diploma and a six month advanced certificate in information security through the distance mode.
Pay and Remuneration
Fresh professionals with certifications can earn around 3 lakhs per annum in the beginning but growth potential is very high depending on skills. With 4-5 years of experience one can earn around 10 lakhs per annum.
Career ProspectsAs someone has said that the future wars would not be fought on the battlefields but on the cyber-fields of the world. Clearly as more and more of business, financial and social activities shift to the online world, the prospects of Internet security and cyber-wars between corporations and countries is looking as a reality. All this means that Ethical Hackers would be in good demand from law enforcement agencies and even large corporations.
A Day in Life
Information Technology security professionals work on firewalls and networks. A typical day might include penetrating a specified network and making report on the loopholes. Attending a small training session on new technology or trends in hacking. Training the staff in IT department on securing the system.
You may also like-
Career in Computer Science Career as Investment Banker